Chicken. Kabocha. Salmon

10:46 PM

I finally had a low-key, sleep-in kind of saturday morning so I decided to wake up at 8:30am and get ready for the day. I called my mom to see what she was up to and we ended up going to the Saratoga farmers market and then to Whole Foods. I quickly pulled up a few recipes from my cookbook stash and made a list.

OH, before that. I also wanted to go to my parents to pick up this beauty:


I'm SO EXCITED

and a little afraid that I'm getting old because kitchen appliances really make me happy... 


Anyway. This is what I cooked tonight:


The first recipe is chicken with pea shoots from Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries (UK Amazon) or Notes from the Larder (US Amazon). It's just diced chicken with garlic, ginger, peppers, 5 spice powder and pea shoots. Very easy and tasty stir-fry


Then I remembered that I had a kabocha squash in the fridge that I picked up because it was super cheap at Mitsuwa ($2 for a half squash). However, I had no idea how to cook it so I just did was is generally the easiest: roasted it. 


It has a very mild flavor, almost like a very very mild buttersquash. I might have over-cooked it. Will have to try again.


Finally, I made the shallow-poached salmon recipe from Alice Water's The Art of Simple Food and made the butter sauce to go on top. Yum. Delicious and decadent. I bought the salmon this morning from a stand at the farmer's market. Can't beat the taste of super fresh food. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments