Dinner tonight: Sweet Potato Lentil Stew, Cabbage Rolls and Applesauce Muffins

9:54 PM

So the non-cooking thing was getting to a point of being just sheer ridiculous and I was veering dangerously into the territory of lower than depressing college student with frozen dinners, bread and butter and lunches of frozen vegetables and soups made of random items.

It actually got so bad, that for Halloween, when our program sponsored a taco lunch for the whole team, I took home an entire steamer tray of rice, beans, assorted meats and salsa. I still have a small soup container left but I ate that stuff for lunch and dinner every single day last week.

Gross, I know. You now know WAY more about me than you ever wished...and there is no way that you can un-know what you now know! HA!


Anyway


I went to the grocery store (gasp)

I love Sprouts


I bought all of this (plus a box of Annie's Mac and Cheese) and some doubles of items for 70 bucks. 70!

Those bags of flour were 2 for $6. My inner cheap Asian was screaming "OMG, that's such a GREAT DEAL. BUY IT ALL!"

I had to hold myself back. Had to remember that I am the only one who will carry the groceries up the 3 flights of stairs to my unit. It's hell to carry the 50 pounds of groceries and assorted bags from the weekend up those stairs. Ugh. 


So....onto dinner :)

Sweet Potato Lentil Stew on the left. Cabbage Rolls on the right. 

Lentil Stew came from Alicia Silverstone's book and the cabbage cups came from the Gluttonous Vegan

Yum!

I was too impatient to let the cabbage cups brown and didn't have the herbs to add to the rice but it smelled soo heavenly. The lentil stew was super good. I really don't like lentils but the sweet potatoes (that I love) made up for it. It was spicy with a mix of Indian spices and a hefty serving of cayenne


This doesn't quite fit with the dinner theme, but I made some applesauce cranberry muffins for breakfast for this week. It made the house smell absolutely divine. Like Christmas apple pie and cinnamon spice. For some reason it smelled like a wood fire outside so that enhanced the moment



Don't know if this means my cooking mojo is back, but I am semi glad to not be eating anymore leftover mexican food. I have been scoping out some yummy decadent baking projects and I bought two cans of pumpkin puree which means some delicious pumpkin treats are on their way! Tis the season for some fun baking! 

Hope your kitchen is warm and spicy :)
- Janine

You Might Also Like

0 comments