Thanksgiving Dinner with Friends

8:15 PM

This year I had the pleasure of having 2 thanksgivings. One with friends the sunday before and one with my parents followed up with a wonderful thanksgiving dinner of hotpot with some of the far from home transplants. It was a week of very good food and a bit of overeating.

Below are pictures of the things I made for the sunday dinner. Turkey, dressing and pie

I had about four hours to get all of the cooking done so here is how I did it.

First, I started with pumpkin persimmon pie. The easiest recipe that I've ever encountered. And super tasty too!


The crust is made in the food processor. Just whirl around until it forms a ball like above


Then press into your pam'd pie pan and bake


Then take some tasty persimmons provided by your wonderful friends (thanks Daniel and Kim!)


And mix with pumpkin and spices and sugar. This is where I experienced the saddest thing in my life...I ran out of cinnamon. It was traumatic


Then pop into oven and bake until this goodness happens


Then I made root vegetable stuffing. 

I have to confess. I burned it a little. Forgot that it was in the oven when I started preheating it to cook the turkey. Sorry friends. I do love you and I'm not trying to kill you, I promise.


Made some whipped cream but left it in the fridge instead of taking it to the party because I'm S-M-R-T


Then take turkey, that is spatchcocked (or cut out the backbone with great difficulty and break the breast until it lays flat), spread with butter and herbs and five spice on one side and place veggies on the bottom of the pan). Cook turkey for 1 hour


And make stock while waiting. This is the regular turkey stock. There is a backbone in there somewhere


And this one is the "chinese" style stock with the neck, garlic and ginger. Yes, it is being cooked in my wok


Turkey done! (Actually slightly overdone, sorry again friends, I really do love you all)

After this cooking fiasco, I participated in the turkey trot on turkey day morning, then had turkey lunch with my parents. Then I met up with some of my far-from-home friends and we had our own turkey day dinner of hot pot. 

Then I got sick and stayed home all weekend. It was productive. 

Hope you all had a happy turkey day!

You Might Also Like

0 comments