28th Birthday State Park Palooza

12:14 AM

This year my 28th happened to fall on a Monday, so I took the day off of work and went hiking and beaching.


I decided to do a 6 mile loop through Henry Cowell State Park which is also where Roaring Camp Railroads is located. My trail started through the redwood grove




Then I passed under the train tracks


Through the woods

And then...it got a little tricky. Turns out, I am not a good judge of distance while on foot. I ended up turning off the trail too early, hiking up a gigantor steep hill and added 2 miles to my circle going the opposite way around the loop. Oh well. 

I was lost until I found the signs for the observation deck


Apparently the entire area where I was hiking used to be the sea bed so a majority of the uphill climb was through sand. Really pretty but hot as hell and hard to walk through


But it had a decent view at the top at 800'


Found where I was originally supposed to go...after I stopped for directions at the campsite. THEN saw a sign about mountain lions and warning hikers not to be alone to which I said, oops. But then I spent the entire 2 mile hike back feeling constantly paranoid about every sound I heard. Ugh. Stupid mountain lions


At least I had a nice downgrade on the way back to rest my aching tush


Played chicken with the train (just kidding, it wasn't anywhere near me)

Then walked my way out and through the redwood grove again. I realized I should have taken a shot of the canopy but if I laid down on the ground to get the shot, I might have passed out. 8 miles and not enough calories and water plus hiking in jeans meant that I was exhausted and ready for lunch. 

So I headed to new leaf to get my hippie on and went to my favorite beach in Santa Cruz


I seriously love this beach


Ocean Kale Salad


After a couple hours of napping, reading, soaking up the rays and relaxing. I packed up and said goodbye to my little slice of paradise. 

Thanks for treating me so well on my birthday California! 

P.S. friends - I bought a state park pass so who wants to go with on the next state park adventure?!

You Might Also Like

0 comments