Turning 26..

12:52 AM

This is officially my birthday week. Not that I'm celebrating the week, I just tend to lose track of my days so I figured I'd write about this now before I drown in the sea of my life.


So...26...wow. When I was in high school, I NEVER though I'd be this old. Not that I'd die or something, I just never really looked beyond the next year (still tend to do that now). And I know, don't eyeroll me, 26 is not old. I didn't say that at all. But I am taking this opportunity to take stock of where I've been, what I've done and where I'm going and sometimes I feel like I've accomplished nothing (I think this is just an artifact of being beaten down in school this quarter..)

Well then, here we go, my life in my opinion

Kiddie-hood:
Maybe I just have a crappy memory but I really can't remember much of what it was like to be a kid, at least before the age of like, 6? I've lived all over the world because of my parents careers and I really wish I remembered more of it. The memories are pretty fuzzy but I do remember most of the places I've lived in and the fun I had with friends. 

I remember being a really insane little child. I was always running around everywhere and usually was barefoot. If I wasn't running around in the street, I was generally climbing trees or being silly with my friends. Such a great childhood. Definitely rode a big yellow (not short) school bus to school every day in Texas. Walked to and from school every day in Davis. Lived out near fields and farms in both places. Very nice carefree life filled with outdoors and friends and fun, especially when my brother came along and then well, that was even more hilarious since he'd chase my friends and I around screaming the whole time. Screaming. Non stop. Our parents LOVED us (I hope they still do..)


High School:
Wow. What can I say about this time in my life. I feel like I had a love-hate relationship with high school. I loved marching band, we had so many great times doing shows, games, traveling to Hawaii and Disneyland. I met so many wonderful people and spent so much time with them and they really became like a big family. Yeah I was a band geek. Yes I went to band camp and no I won't talk about the things we did there. Oooohh....   No.

My summers were spent as a science camp counselor with the city of Cupertino. Sometimes I can't believe I was a camp counselor, and with 4-5 other counselors my age, looking after what seemed like a million children. I'm amazed we didn't all lose our minds! I now know that I do not want to have 40 children. ever. and if I teach them about water, it will include water balloon fights because that is the best way to learn about water. 

This time and college time, well, I made a lot of mistakes, I learned a lot of lessons and hopefully I've learned from them :P

College:
College was fantastic! I met so many wonderful wonderful people through my business frat and from my dorm. I totally love all of you so much. You all made college so much fun and I really cherished the time we had together. Sometimes I wish that I either a. stayed in Colorado or b. had this same experience at a school in California because I miss my friends so much and I miss the times we had and how close we were. I know I still see them all about once a year but it's definitely not the same as it was 4 years ago. 


So, where does that leave me now.

I'm greying

Getting larger

Growing uglier

Losing my mind

Progress!



No, not really. It's been a tough couple of years. School and work together at the same time is about as compatible as really hot oil and really cold water coming together in a miraculous explosion (it doesn't really explode but I do tend to run away from the kitchen very very quickly). I cannot WAIT to graduate from school and I definitely cannot wait to become a normal human being again. I miss who I was and how daring, outgoing and fun I used to be. I hate that I've gotten so boring...


To end it, here's to 26. The times have been tough lately, but at least by 27, I hope to accomplish a few things:

Cooking more meals from my cookbooks
Blogging more about INTERESTING things (novel idea!)
Reading more books
Spending time with friends
Homebrewing (yay beer!)
Unpacking into my condo (don't judge me)


What else...


Probably, just enjoying my life more. Enjoying the people that are in my life and the fun times we'll have. I can't wait to begin the ride (when I regain my freedom)

Cheers!

Picture of a road leading to the sand dunes in Colorado where I went camping with my roomies and our friends



p.s. I'll be in New Orleans starting tomorrow to celebrate with my man, beer, gumbo, jambalaya, oysters, muffaletta sandwiches, po boys, slurricanes, ghosts and alligators! Partayy!

Pictures to come later...if I'm not too drunk to take them or too drunk to be in them :D


You Might Also Like

0 comments